|Distillery Opened||Capacity||Malting Floor||Washback Type||Number of Washbacks||Number of Wash Stills||Number of Spirit Stills|
|1831||1 million litres||Dismissed in 1963||/||/||1||1|
Glenugie distillery is located near Peterhead, on the east coast of Scotland, not far from where the River Uige meets the North Sea.
The Glenugie distillery was founded in 1834 by Donald MacLeod & Company on the site of a disused windmill factory.
The distillery was actually originally named 'Invernettie', but later changed it’s name to Glenugie.
In 1837, soon after the Glenugie distillery started producing whisky, the Glenugie distillery was converted to a brewery by new owner Glenugie Distillery Co.
Not much is known about Glenugie’s history between it’s founding and 1875, when the site was sold to the Scottish Highland Distiller’s Company. Sources agree that the new owners completely renovated the site, in order to increase production capacity.
After it’s total renovation, the Glenugie distillery closed again in 1879 and George Whyte and Company bought it, and although documentation for this period is scarce, it seems as if the distillery continued to operate until 1915, when production ceased again.
In 1937 the Glenugie distillery was taken over by Seagar Evans & Company, who continued to operate the Glenugie distillery until 1956.
Glenugie distillery was closed in 1983.
Glenugie distillery operated with only one wash still and one spirit still for most of its operative life.
Sadly, knowledge about the exact measurements and capacities of both was lost when the distillery was demolished.
Certain reports speculate that it is most likely that the distillery had 'traditionally' shaped pot stills, with wide, spherical lids and tall conical necks.
The Glenugie distillery's range consist of:
- 32 yo
- 33 yo
Image source: scotchwhisky.com & Twitter