|Distillery Opened||Capacity||Malting Floor||Washback Type||Number of Washbacks||Number of Wash Stills||Number of Spirit Stills|
The site at Dumbarton was owned by George Ballantine and Company and hosted their continuous stills, which were used to produce grain whisky.
George Ballantine & Sons is acquired by Hiram Walker-Gooderham and Worts in 1936.
Inverleven distillery was built as part of the Dumbarton complex in 1938.
Inverleven distillrty was never a true 'distillery', but instead was simply a pair of stills within a larger facility.
In 1956 a third Lomond still was added to the Inverleven still house.
Although the Lomond still shared Inverleven’s wash still, it was classed as a separate distillery called Lomond.
Lomond was mothballed in 1985, just three years before Allied Lyons purchased Hiram Walker. Not long after the acquisition, in 1991, Inverleven distillery was also decommissioned.
The Lomond still is now working again since 2010 at Bruichladdich distillery.
Dumbarton distillery itself was eventually closed in 2002.
- 1936 George Ballantine & Sons is acquired by Hiram Walker-Gooderham and Worts.
- 1938 The Dumbarton grain complex is built, with Inverleven malt distillery inside.
- 1956 A Lomond still is installed at Inverleven distillery.
- 1985 Lomond distillery is decomissioned.
- 1988 Allied Lyons purchases Hiram Walker, including Dumbarton and Inverleven distillery.
- 1991 Inverleven distillery is closed.
- 2002 The Dumbarton complex is finnaly shut down.
Inverleven distillery was equipped with one wash and one spirit still. The wash still had a capacity of 25’000 litres, while the spirit still had a capacity of 20’000 litres. Both of the original stills had a traditional 'Speyside' shape, with wide, spherical lids and tall conical necks.
The Inverleven distillery's range consist of:
- 36 yo
Image source: Twitter