|Distillery Opened||Capacity||Malting Floor||Washback Type||Number of Washbacks||Number of Wash Stills||Number of Spirit Stills|
|1965||3.3 million litres||Yes||Stainless Steel||6||2||2|
Last year they sell their own products in more than 70 countries, all well as providing bulk whisky for own-label products. Recently they have also jumped on the single grain whisky bandwagon and have released three versions of Streathcolm.
- 1965 The Tomintoul distillery was founded by Tomintoul Distillery Ltd.
- 1973 Scottish & Universal Investment Trust bought the distillery, in the same year it bought Whyte&Mackay and transfer Tomintoul distillery to that company.
- 1974 The stills were increased to four and Tomintoul 12 years was launched
- 1978 Lonhro bought Scottish & Universal Investment Trust.
- 1989 Lonhro sold Whyte & Mackay to Brent Walker.
- 2000 Angus Dundee plc bought Tomintoul distillery.
- 2002 Tomintoul 10 year was launched.
- 2003 Tomintoul 16 years was launched.
- 2004 Tomintoul 27 years was launched.
- 2005 Old Ballantruan, a young seated version, was launched.
- 2008 1976 Vintage and Peaty Tang were released.
- 2009 A 14 year old and a 33 year old were released.
- 2010 A 12 year old Port wood finish was released.
- 2011 A 21 year old, a 10 year old Ballantruan and Vintage 1966 were released.
- 2013 A 31 year old single cask was released.
- 2015 Five Decades and 40 year old were released.
- 2016 40 year old and Tlàth without age were launched.
Tomintoul distillery is equipped with an 11.6 ton semi lauter mash tun, six stainless steel washbacks and two pairs of stills.
The stills of the Tomintoul distillery are in copper and are heated to evaporate the alcohol. When this rises in the still, it is pick up and condensed again in a liquid. This process is made twice.
Moreover the Tomintoul distillery pays attention to wastefulness. In fact, it uses and mix the cold water, which is used to cool the warm vapour that rised up from the spirit still to heat wort, and the barley husks to create a syrup. This, is used to make animal feed.
The Tomintoul distillery range consist of:
- 10 yo
- 10 yo Old Ballantruan
- 12 yo
- 15 yo Port Finish
- 16 yo
- 40 yo
- Peaty Tang
- Old Ballantruan
- 1976 Vintage
- Single Cask
Image source: official Tomintoul website