|Distillery Opened||Capacity||Malting Floor||Washback Type||Number of Washbacks||Number of Wash Stills||Number of Spirit Stills|
James Sutherland, who was Mayor of the city of Inverness at the time, founded Glen Albyn distillery in 1844.
The location of the Glen Albyn distillery was ideal at the very eastern locks of the Caledonian Canal. The surrounding area supplied most of the malted barley used in the Highland and Island distilleries, so Glen Albyn had easy access to plenty of raw materials.
Glen Albyn distillery distilled until a devastating fire in November 1849 forced its closure.
Up and running again in 1850, the Glen Albyn distillery fell silent within its first decade; by 1866, the site had been transformed into a flour mill.
Glen Albyn Distillery’s life was renewed in 1884 when it was purchase and rebuilt by Grigor & Co.
The Glen Albyn distillery fell silent again between 1917 and 1919, when it was used as a US Naval base for the production of sea mines and submarine nets.
In 1920 the Glen Albyn distillery was purchased by the Mackinlays & Birnie Company, who continued to run the Glen Albyn distillery until it was purchased by Distillers Company Limited in 1972.
In 1983, along with a host of other distilleries, Glen Albyn distillery was mothballed and eventually demolished and developed into a grocery store.
Image source: Twitter