|Distillery Opened||Capacity||Malting Floor||Washback Type||Number of Washbacks||Number of Wash Stills||Number of Spirit Stills|
|1897||4.2 million litres||Dismissed in 1968||Stainless Steel/Wooden||19||1||1|
The Speyburn distillery was founded in 1897 by Brothers John and Edward Hopkin and their cousin.
The same year of the foundation of Speyburn distillery there was the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee and Hopkins, for celebrate this important events, he set himself a challenge.
He promised to construction a distillery and produce a whisky in time for the celebration of Queen Victoria.
In spite of several difficulties, he mantided the promise and won the challenge.
The Speyburn distillery is located in Speyside in the Granty Burn valley, for the production of his whisky, Speyburn distillery uses the water which comes from the adjacent river.
In 1962 in Speyburn distillery the coal-fired stills were abandoned and the distillery decided to use a new system which used the indirect steam heating.
Until 1968 the Speyburn distillery has used its own malt and today the Speyburn distillery buys it.
The Speyburn distillery uses air-dried oak casks aromatized in bourbon or sherry and the whisky of Speyburn distillerymatured in traditional dunnage warehouses.
This type of warehouses have a better humidity and temperature for the maturation of Speyburn whisky.
- 1897 Brothers John and Edward Hopkin and their cousin founded the Speyburn distillery though John Hopkin & Co. The Speyburn distillery was transferred to Speyburn - Glenlivet Distillery Company.
- 1916 Distillers Company Limited acquires John Hopkin & Co and the Speyburn distillery.
- 1930 Production in Speyburn distillery stopped.
- 1934 Production in Speyburn distillery restarted.
- 1962 Speyburn distillery was transferred to Scottish Malt Distillers.
- 1968 Drum malt closed.
- 1991 Inver House Distillery buys Speyburn distillery.
- 1992 A 10 year old was launched as a replacement for a 12 year old in the Flora & Fauna series.
- 2001 Pacific spirits bought Inver House.
- 2005 A 25 year old Solera was released.
- 2009 The un-aged Broaden Roach was introduced for the American market.
- 2012 Clan Speyburn was formed .
- 2014 The Speyburn distillery was expanded.
- 2015 Arranca Casks was released.
The Speyburn distillery is equipped with a new 6 ton stainless steel mash tun. Four of the six wooden washbacks were kept but they have also expanded with no less than 15 washbacks made of stainless steel.
Finally, the existing wash still was converted to a spirit still of exactly the same shape as the other one, while a new and much larger wash still was installed.
The stills have the classic Speyside shape and the two spirit stills are connected to a worm tub while the wash stills is fitted with a shell and tube condenser.
The range of Speyburn distillery consist of:
- 10 yo
- Bradan Orach
- Arranta Casks