|Number of Washbacks
|Number of Wash Stills
|Number of Spirit Stills
|3.2 million litres
The Inchgower distillery was founded in 1871 by Alexander Wilson & Co.
Originally the Inchgower distillery was the Tochieneal distillery which was constructed near Cullen by Alexander Wilson.
His nephew, nicknamed Uncle Sandy, founded a flourishing business but a cause of the doubling of the rent it was obliged to close all. After that he moved to the coast and founded Inchgower distillery
The Inchgower distillery is situated on the south side of Moray Firth and the water which the Inchgower distillery uses for the production of its whisky, comes from a burn in Menduff Hills, on the south of Buckie where the Inchgower distillery is.
Moreover the Inchgower distillery has used his own malts but today the Inchgower distillery buys it from Diageo.
Generally most of the production is matured elsewhere, but there are also five dunnage and four racked warehouses on site and the Inchgower distillery uses a mixture of American Oak and sherry casks for the production of his whisky.
In fact the whisky of Inchgower distillery is dry and fruity, with a crisp, salty tang, which reflects the proximity to the coast .
- 1871 Alexander Wilson & Co founded the Inchgower distillery.
- 1936 Alexander Wilson & Co became in bankrupt and Bukie Town Council bought the Inchgower distillery and family’s home.
- 1938 The Inchgower distillery was sold on to Arthur Bell & Sons.
- 1966 Capacity doubles to four stills.
- 1985 Guinnes acquires Arthur Bell & Sons.
- 1987 United distillers was formed by the combination of Arthur Bell & Sons and DCL.
- 1997 Inchgower 1974 (22 years) was released as a Rare Malt.
- 2004 Inchgower 1976 (27 years) was released as a Rare Malt.
- 2010 A single cask from 1993 was released.
Since 2012 the Inchgower distillery is equipped with a 8.6 ton stainless steel semilauter mash tun, six wooden washbacks and two pairs of stills.
Both of the stills have a classic pear-shape, a spherical lid, narrow conical necks and an usual bend on the lyne arms.
The core range of Inchgower distillery consist of:
- 14 yo Flora & Fauna
- Single sherry cask from 1993
Image souce: malts.com