|Distillery Opened||Capacity||Malting Floor||Washback Type||Number of Washbacks||Number of Wash Stills||Number of Spirit Stills|
|1829||3.6 million litres||/||/||/||2||2|
The Tullamore Distillery was founded in 1829 by Michael Molloy, in Tullamore, County Offaly, Ireland.
When Molloy dead, in 1846, the distillery passed into the hands of one of his five nephews, Bernard Daly, and under the general management of Daniel E. Williams. 40 years later, in 1887, Bernard Daly died, and Tullamore Distillery passed to his son Captain Bernard Daly, who left, as always, the running of the distillery to Daniel E. Williams.
Under Daniel E. Williams, the Tullamore Distillery expanded and prospered, lunching the whiskey which still bears his initials, Tullamore D.E.W.
Williams was very resourceful and brought electricity to Tullamore in 1893. He installed telephones and motorised automobiles in the distillery.
In 1903, the distillery was incorporated into a company under the name B Daly & Co. Ltd., of which both Daly and Williams had shares.
The Tullamore Distillery, finally, came under complete control of Williams family in 1931.
From 1925 to 1937, due to the advent of competition and to cut costs, Tullamore Distillery was temporarily mothballed.
In the 1940s, Desmond, the grandson of Daniel E. Williams, began into alternative products, and with whiskey sales still languishing, the company decided to focus its resources on the liqueur Irish Mist. Therefore, distilling operations ceased in Tullamore in 1954, and production was temporarily moved to Power's Distillery in Dublin, and was later moved to Midleton Distillery and Bushmill's Distillery.
William Grant & Sons acquired Tullamore brand in 2010 and, in March 2012, they announced that they were in the final stages of negotiations to acquire a site at Clonminch, situated on the outskirts of Tullamore.
Construction of a new distillery began in May 2013 and in autumn 2014, the distillery was ready to start production in its ancestral home of Tullamore.
The construction will be executed in three phases where the first was a pot still distillery with the possibility to distil 1,8 million litres per year. In early 2016, it was increased to 3,6 million litres by the addition of more stills and washbacks. Finally, a grain distillery and bottling plant were added in 2017. Tullamore can now produce all three components of its Tullamore D.E.W. blended whiskey on-site.
- 1829 Tullamore Distillery was founded by Michael Molloy, in Tullamore, County Offaly, Ireland
- 1846 Molloy dead and the distillery passed into the hands of one of his five nephews, Bernard Daly
- 1887 Bernard Daly dead and Tullamore Distillery passed to his son Captain B. Daly
- 1893 Williams brought electricity to Tullamore
- 1903 The distillery was incorporate under tha name B Daly & Co. Ltd.
- 1925-1937 Tullamore Distillery was temporarily closed
- 1931 Tullamore came under complete control of Williams family
- 1954 The old Tullamore Distillery closed and production was transferred to the Midleton Distillery
- 2010 The brand was purchased by William Grant & Sons, who invested €35 million in the construction of the new Tullamore Distillery
- 2014 The new Tullamore Distillery opened
The Tullamore Distillery, in 2014, 60 years after its closure, was rebuilt in the place where it was born, in Tullamore, County Offaly.
This new distillery is equipped with 4 pot stills and have a capacity of 3.6 million litres per year. Peculiarity of the Tullamore distillery process is the triple distillation, the triple blending and the triple cask maturation.
The Tullamore Distillery core products consist of:
- Tullamore D.E.W Original
- 12yo Special Reserve
- 10yo Single Malt
- 14yo Single Malt
- 18yo Single Malt
Image source: Tullamore Distillery Official Website